Website The Wright Group
Job Description: Product Development Formulator is a technical position in the Department of R&D And Innovation focusing on nutritional premix formulation and development. The Product Development Formulator is responsible for nutritional premix formulation and providing formulation related technical support to food and nutritional industry customers on a project-by-project basis.
- Complete formulation requests identified on the Request Log.
- Formulate nutritional premixes to the customer specifications and provide. technical support related to each formulation project.
- Research scientific literatures, conduct lab experiments and product development trials necessary for formulation completion.
- Assist customer benchtop research work, lab trials and production scale up in different premix applications.
- Review/audit formulations done by other formulators.
- Draft new Product Data Sheets (PDS) for new premix products to meet customer requirements.
- Work with Document Control to finalize new official PDS and update existing PDS.
- Provide guidance to and works with R&D technicians for sample preparation.
- Generate premix Standard Operation Procedure (SOP) for each new premix product.
- Assist Production Department in new premix scale-up.
- Prepare reports on projects and keeps research records in notebook.
- Participate in sensory evaluation of finished products and provides solutions to solve sensory issues related to premixes.
- Participate in industry trade shows to interact with customers.
- Participate in designing and preparing trade show samples.
- Communicate with Customer Service Department and Sales Managers on the status of premix formulations and other technical projects.
- Follow up with customers or sales managers on premix projects.
- Audit new formulas before entering to production system.
- Interact with Sourcing And Purchasing Department for obtaining and evaluating new ingredients.
- Provide nutritional information on products for Document Control Department.
- Work with team members to solve R&D, quality, production, sourcing, and customer service related interdepartmental issues.
- Travels (5 -10%) to attend trade shows/seminars or visit customers.
- Identify and resolve problems in a timely manner by gathering and analyzing all available information.
- Complete projects on time based on priority while clearly communicating changes and progress .
- Focus on morale and group commitments to achieve goals and objectives.
- Able to manage multiple projects and initiatives on tight deadlines and delegate accordingly.
- Work with integrity and ethically always following organization policies and procedures.
- Protect customer and organization confidential information at all times.
- Observe safety and security procedures. Report potentially unsafe conditions and make sure equipment and materials are being used properly.
- Adapts and manages changes and demands within department by changing approach or method to best fit the situation.
- Completes tasks on time or notifies appropriate person with an alternate plan.
Education and Experience Requirements
- Bachelor of Science degree (B.S.) from a four-year accredited college or university, preferably Food Science, Nutrition or related science disciplines.
- Master of Science degree (M.S.) or Doctorate degree (Ph.D.) is desirable.
- Minimum of three years of food industry or dietary supplement industry experience or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Working on computer for long periods of time.
- Standing for long periods of time when working in the labs or manufacturing environment.
- Exposure to chemical odors and dusts may be encountered. Hoods and personal protection equipment are available for use.
- Gloves, lab coats, glasses and other P.P.E. are available and required when handling certain chemicals and working in the labs.
- Hard hats are available and required when entering manufacturing environment.